The Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) is the Financial Intelligence Unit of the Government of the Republic of Namibia, statutorily mandated to assist with combatting money laundering, financing of terrorism and proliferation.
The mission of the FIC is to protect the integrity of the Namibian financial system against risks posed by money laundering, financing of terrorism, financing of proliferation and other financial crimes.
- Reacting timeously, effectively and efficiently to challenges posed by national and international money launderers, other perpetrators of financial crimes, terrorist financiers and proliferation financiers.
- Ensuring Namibia has an effective and comprehensive Anti-Money Laundering and Combating of the Financing of Terrorism and Proliferation (AML/CFT/CFP) Policy and Legislative framework that meets international standards.
- Ensuring Accountable and Reporting Institutions, representatives of financial institutions, non-banking financial institutions and designated non-financial businesses and professions fulfil obligations under the Financial Intelligence Act, 2012 (Act No 13 of 2012) (FIA).
- Receiving and analysing suspicious transaction (STR) and suspicious activity reports (SAR) for possible commission of criminal offences and subsequent dissemination of information to Law Enforcement Agencies and Foreign Financial Intelligence Units.
- Requesting information from Accountable and Reporting Institutions, Law Enforcement Agencies and Foreign Financial Intelligence Units for analysis purposes.
- Monitor, supervise and enforce compliance with the FIA by institutions listed on Schedule 1 and 3 of this Act.
The FIC strives to provide a strong legal basis to combat money laundering, and the financing of terrorism and proliferation activities; including other financial crimes within the borders of Namibia. In terms of the Financial Intelligence Act, 2012 (Act No 13 of 2012) (FIA), the primary mandate of the FIC is to protect the integrity and stability of the Namibian financial system, by monitoring and supervising the anti-money laundering and financing of terrorism and proliferation controls required to be implemented by businesses that are vulnerable to money laundering and the financing of terrorism and proliferation activities.