The Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) is the Financial Intelligence Unit of the Government of the Republic of Namibia, statutorily mandated to assist with combatting money laundering and financing of terrorism.
The mission of the FIC is to protect the integrity of the Namibian financial system against risks posed by money laundering, financing of terrorism and other financial crimes.
- Reacting timeously, effectively and efficiently to challenges posed by national and international money launderers, other perpetrators of financial crimes and terrorist financiers.
- Ensuring Namibia has an effective and robust Anti-Money Laundering and Combating of the Financing of Terrorism Policy and Legislative framework in place that meets international standards.
- Ensuring Accountable Institutions representative of financial institutions, non-banking financial institutions and designated non-financial businesses and professions fulfil obligations in respect of due diligence checks, customer identification, record-keeping and reporting obligations.
- Receiving, requesting and analysing suspicious transaction and suspicious activity reports and dissemination of intelligence to Law Enforcement Agencies and foreign counterpart agencies pertaining possible money laundering, financing of terrorism and other financial crimes.
- Monitor, Supervise and Enforce compliance with national Anti-Money Laundering and Combatting the Financing of Terrorism laws by Accountable Institutions representative of financial institutions, non-banking financial institutions and designated non-financial businesses and professions.
The FIC strives to develop a strong legal basis to combat money laundering, financing of terrorism activities and other financial crimes within the borders of Namibia, to protect the integrity and stability of the financial system, by monitoring and supervising the anti-money laundering and anti-financing of terrorism controls and systems implemented by businesses that are vulnerable to money laundering or terrorist financing and by producing intelligence products that incorporates the analysis of relevant classified information.